Published: 27 May 2022
1. Assoc Prof Muhammad Faishal Ibrahim, Minister of State, Ministry of Home Affairs and Ministry of National Development, presented the Pingat Jasa Gemilang (the Meritorious Service Medal) to Datuk Seri Mohamed Farid bin Abu Hassan today, at Singapore’s Ministry of Home Affairs. Datuk Seri Farid was appointed Director, Malaysian Special Branch (MSB) in the Royal Malaysia Police (RMP) on 17 June 2019, helming the MSB for two years before retiring from Service in June 2021.
2. Under Datuk Seri Farid’s leadership, the relationship between the MSB and the Internal Security Department (ISD) of Singapore grew even stronger and closer. Both the MSB and ISD had kept up substantive intelligence exchanges and extensive cooperation in areas of mutual security interest, particularly in counter-terrorism. Close collaboration between the two Services helped in disrupting the activities of pro-Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) elements and other terror-linked entities in the region.
3. Despite the challenges posed by the COVID-19 pandemic, Datuk Seri Farid demonstrated astute leadership and commitment in working closely with Singapore, in countering the persistent terrorism threat.
4. The conferment of the Pingat Jasa Gemilang (the Meritorious Service Medal) is a recognition of Datuk Seri Farid’s outstanding role in enhancing the strong professional ties between the MSB and ISD, and his significant contributions to the security of Malaysia, Singapore and the region.
5. The investiture ceremony today was attended by guests from the Malaysian High Commission in Singapore and officers from the Ministry of Home Affairs.
Internal Security Department
27 May 2022