Published: 10 July 2019
1. The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) is taking action against several Myanmar nationals for using Singapore as a platform to organise and garner support for armed violence against the Myanmar government. This is inimical to Singapore’s security.
2. Investigations reveal that a group of Myanmar nationals in Singapore have organised and mobilized some members of the local Myanmar community to support the Arakan Army (AA) and its political wing, the United League of Arakan (ULA).
3. The AA is an armed group that has conducted violent attacks in Myanmar. This includes two attacks on police posts in January and March 2019, where the AA admitted to seizing large caches of weapons and ammunition from the police stations. According to reports, the AA killed over 20 police officers in the two attacks. Family members of police officers, including women and children, were reportedly abducted by the AA in these attacks.
4. The AA has been designated a terrorist group by the Myanmar government.
5. The Myanmar nationals investigated were found to be supporters of the AA.
6. The immigration facilities of those found to be involved in activities of security concern will be cancelled, and they will be deported from Singapore.
7. MHA takes a very serious view of anyone who supports, promotes, undertakes or makes preparations to undertake armed violence, regardless how they rationalise such violence ideologically, or where the violence takes place. They should not import their domestic political issues from their countries into Singapore.
8. Any person, local or foreign, who engages in such activity, which is inimical to Singapore’s national security, will be dealt with firmly. Foreigners visiting, working or living in Singapore have to abide by our laws.
9. MHA recognises that the very large majority of the Myanmar nationals in Singapore are law abiding and have made contributions to our country. We must be careful not to let the actions of a few individuals taint the positive contributions of the rest of the community, who live harmoniously amongst us.