Published: 22 May 2023
1. The Minister for Home Affairs has rejected an application (the “Application”) by Xu Yuan Chen (“Xu”) to cancel the Correction Direction issued to him on 7 May 2023, pursuant to section 11 of the Protection from Online Falsehoods and Manipulation Act 2019.
2. On 30 April 2023, Xu had posted on his Facebook (FB) page, more false allegations against the Police concerning an incident at Yishun Avenue 5 in 2021 involving an elderly woman.
3. On 7 May 2023, a Correction Direction was issued to Xu, requiring him to insert a correction notice at the top of his FB post, stating that the post contained false statements of fact, together with a link to the Factually article which sets out the correct facts. He was also directed to post the correction notice as a new post on his FB page.
4. The conditions for issuing the Correction Direction were satisfied, and the Application did not disclose any grounds to the contrary. After having carefully considered the Application, the Minister for Home Affairs has decided to reject it. Xu has been notified of the rejection.
5. For the facts of the case, please refer to the Factually article “Corrections regarding false allegations against the Police concerning an incident at Yishun Avenue 5 in 2021”.