Published: 04 June 2022
1. Singapore has joined the WeProtect Global Alliance (WPGA) – an independent, public-private partnership that aims to put online child sexual exploitation and abuse (OCSEA) on the global agenda and mobilise a worldwide campaign to end it. Senior Minister of State for Foreign Affairs and National Development Ms Sim Ann led the Singapore delegation at the WPGA Global Summit 2022 in Brussels, Belgium from 1 to 2 June 2022, to discuss ways to strengthen the international momentum against OCSEA, and share Singapore’s efforts in combating OCSEA.
Singapore’s WPGA Membership
2. Singapore became a member of the WPGA in May 2022. We join more than 200 governments, companies, and civil society organisations in striving to create a safer online environment for children.
3. As a member, Singapore will contribute towards the Alliance’s Global Threat Assessments on OCSEA and share best practices. Our participation will also keep Singapore abreast of technological developments and emerging challenges on the OCSEA front.
Singapore Attends WPGA Global Summit 2022
4. The WPGA Global Summit 2022 was co-hosted by the European Commission and the WPGA, to bring together leaders from governments, technology companies, intergovernmental organisations and civil society for in-depth discussions on making the digital world safe for children. The Summit – its third edition – was themed “Turning the Tide on Child Sexual Abuse Online: Working Together to Protect Children”.
5. At the Summit, Senior Minister of State Sim articulated Singapore’s multipronged approach against OCSEA during the ministerial-level Commitments Panel session chaired by European Commissioner for Home Affairs Ylva Johansson on 1 June 2022. Our approach entails:
(a) Deterring online predators through strong laws and enforcement;
(b) Cultivating partnerships amongst the people, private and public sectors to close the digital safety gap and support victims of online sexual harms; and
(c) Empowering children to protect themselves online through education.
6. Senior Minister of State Sim was accompanied by officials from the Ministry of Home Affairs.