Published: 21 December 2020
1. To support Home Team Operationally Ready National Servicemen (NSmen) in their efforts to stay physically fit and healthy during the COVID-19 pandemic, the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has collaborated with HomeTeamNS and Sport Singapore (SportSG) to launch the Virtual Fitness Training (VFT) initiative.
2. This initiative provides Home Team NSmen with fitness training in a safe environment. Conducted over Zoom, fitness trainers from Fitness Workz of HomeTeamNS and ActiveSG Sport Champions train participants through a series of high-intensity interval training (HIIT) workouts, including upper body, core training and lower body workouts. The fitness trainers also provide real-time guidance, to ensure that participants have proper form when exercising, as well as training tips to help them improve their fitness levels. Each VFT session is counted towards one session of IPPT Preparatory Training (IPT).
3. VFT sessions are offered free-of-charge to all Home Team NSmen and registration is conducted via the NS portal. Registered participants will receive a link for the Zoom sessions.
4. The VFT initiative was launched with HomeTeamNS on 29 September 2020 and SportSG on 31 October 2020 respectively. As at 12 December 2020, there have been about 1,700 sign-ups for the VFT sessions. Minister of State for Home Affairs and National Development, Associate Professor Muhammad Faishal Ibrahim, who is also President of HomeTeamNS, said: “The launch of the Virtual Fitness Training initiative is just one of the ways we are helping our Home Team NSmen through a challenging year. Regular exercise is not only good for physical fitness, but also benefits mental health. Feedback from our NSmen has been positive with many benefitting from maintaining fitness while working from home.”
5. Ms Agnes Eu, Chief Executive of HomeTeamNS, said: “We are receiving good responses for the Virtual Fitness Training and we have doubled the number of sessions to accommodate the growing demand. HomeTeamNS remains committed to the health and fitness of our NSmen and since the onset of Circuit Breaker, we have been running virtual fitness sessions for our members via our Fitness Workz gym. Through the expertise and dedication of our in-house trainers, we are dedicated to take this training to greater heights.”
6. Chief ActiveSG, Sport Singapore, Mr Sng Hock Lin said “Fitness is the cornerstone of operational readiness. Sport Singapore is happy to partner the Home Team to promote a strong fitness culture through healthy living and providing a suite of fitness programmes for their NSmen. With the implementation of the VFT, Home Team NSmen can leverage on this convenient platform to exercise safely and keep fit. Ultimately, we want to support our NSmen so that they can continue to serve with distinction.”
7. At present, nine VFT sessions are conducted weekly, with up to 45 participants for each session. Due to the positive response, there are plans to gradually increase the number of sessions and the number of participants allowed for each session from January 2021 onwards.
8. MHA is also working with HomeTeamNS and SportSG to launch individual fitness training sessions at selected HomeTeamNS and SportSG gymnasiums for Home Team NSmen, to be rolled out tentatively by June 2021. This will provide Home Team NSmen with more options to train for their IPPT as these selected gymnasiums will also serve as alternative Remedial Training (RT) or IPT venues for NSmen to meet their IPPT requirements.