Singapore Merit Scholarship
The Singapore Merit Scholarship (SMS) is offered to individuals with excellent academic results and leadership capabilities. Your journey begins with an education at a prestigious university before being groomed to take on key positions in the
Home Team Uniformed Services after you graduate.
Pursue an education at a prestigious local or overseas university.
|Career track||Offered by|
|Uniformed||Singapore Police Force, Singapore Civil Defence Force, Singapore Prison Service, Central Narcotics Bureau|
|Country of study||Course of study|
|Local or overseas universities||Most disciplines (except medicine, dentistry and architecture)|
Applicants intending to pursue a degree in Law will not be called to the Bar while serving in the Home Team.
|September - March of the following year|
Value of Award
Tuition fees and other approved charges
Monthly overseas or local maintenance allowance (including accommodation)
Pre-studies allowance e.g. settling in, warm clothing, computer
Return economy class airfare (if studying overseas)
Sponsorship of Master’s and exchange programmes (if requirements are met)
Full salary for the duration of your studies (including bonuses)
Applicants will need to:
- Be a Singapore Citizen or Singapore Permanent Resident who is intending to take up Singapore Citizenship
- Have strong leadership qualities and potential
- Possess strong interest in safeguarding the safety and security of Singapore
- Have good academic and Co-Curricular Activities (CCAs) records
- Have a GCE A-Levels, International Baccalaureate, Polytechnic, NUS High School, or other high school diploma/certificate
- Qualify and excel in Officer Cadet School
All MHA scholarships are open to male and female applicants.
For female candidates: You will have to submit your application earlier to have enough time to prepare for enlistment into Basic Military Training (BMT) in the Singapore Armed Forces.
Your Leadership Journey
You will be exposed to various areas of work through regular postings to develop staff and command competencies.
If you meet the criteria, you will be placed on the Public Service Leadership Programme (PSLP) where you will acquire specialist knowledge and capabilities to take on key leadership positions in the Home Team departments.
You will need to fulfil a bond of:
- 4 years (for local studies)
- 5 years (for studies in non-English speaking countries)
- 6 years (for studies in English speaking countries)
The bond period starts on the day you assume official duty after completing your studies.