Written Replies to Parliamentary Questions

Written Reply to Parliamentary Question on Number of Vehicular Accidents Involving Singaporeans Overseas from 2015 to 2017 by Mr K Shanmugam, Minister for Home Affairs and Minister for Law

Published: 05 February 2018



Mr Ang Hin Kee: To ask the Minister for Home Affairs (a) over the past three years, what is the number of vehicular accidents which occurred overseas involving Singaporeans; (b) whether the issuer of the International Driving Licence is required to advise drivers of the precautions needed in different destinations; and (c) what other measures is the Ministry considering to reduce the incidences of driving accidents involving Singaporeans overseas.




1. We do not have data on the number of overseas road traffic accidents involving Singaporeans. 


2. Traffic Police (TP) leverages social media to publish advisories and videos on safe driving overseas. The Automobile Association of Singapore (AAS), a close working partner and the authority for granting the International Driving Permit in Singapore, provides pointers on safe driving overseas through its website and booklets available at its premises. TP will continue to work with the Singapore Road Safety Council and AAS to raise awareness among Singaporeans of the precautions they should take when driving overseas. These include familiarising themselves with local traffic rules, road conditions and driving culture.