Associate Professor Ho Peng Kee, Co-Chairman of the Home Team Volunteers Network
Commissioner Eric Yap,
Mr Alan Loh, Chairman of National Fire and Civil Emergency Preparedness Council,
Ladies and gentlemen,
- The Home Team’s mission is to make Singapore our safe and secure home. But we cannot achieve this outcome on our own. We need the community to partner us in this effort.
- I am therefore very happy to be here at the Civil Defence Lionhearter Forum. This is one of the key events for SCDF’s partnership with the community. This forum highlights and celebrates the importance of volunteerism in civil defence.
- CD Lionhearters is one of our key volunteer schemes. Since its inception in 2009, CD Lionhearters has now grown to include 13 clubs and over 900 members. Riding on the success of the CD Lionhearter Clubs at post-secondary schools, SCDF and MOE have introduced the Junior CD Lionhearter Programme to primary schools in 2013.
- Our CD Lionhearters are already making their impact felt on the ground. This is not just in events such as Emergency Preparedness Days and SCDF’s Lifesavers’ Connect, but also as community responders themselves. Besides medical emergencies, they also help to respond to minor fire incidents.
- An example is Mr Ong Meng Kiat, a CD Lionhearter from Ngee Ann Polytechnic. In February this year, Meng Kiat responded to a myResponder app notification of a rubbish chute fire at the top floor of Blk 134 Jalan Bukit Merah. His decisive action prevented the fire from developing further. I am pleased to note that Meng Kiat is here with us today.
- Today, I am honoured to be part of two significant milestones in the ongoing partnership between SCDF and the community.
Unveiling of the Logo Commemorating 150 Years of Civil Defence Volunteerism
- First, is the unveiling of the logo to celebrate 150 years of civil defence volunteerism.
- Civil defence volunteerism in Singapore reaches back into the 19th century. The formation of the first voluntary fire brigade in 1869 marked the beginning of a long and stellar record of individuals who have stepped forward to render their assistance when their fellow countrymen were in need. That laid the foundation for the volunteer schemes we have today.
- 2019 will mark the 150th year since civil defence volunteerism was institutionalised in Singapore. This is an important milestone in our journey towards becoming a nation of lifesavers. In a short while, we shall witness the unveiling of the 150th year celebration logo. This will commence the array of activities leading up to the celebration in 2019, culminating in the SCDF Volunteer Gala Nite next year.
Largest Demonstration of IFAS for the Singapore Book of Records
- The second significant event today is the attempt to set a mark in the Singapore Book of Records for the largest demonstration of bleeding control in First Aid, involving around 300 participants. The setting of a national record is a meaningful way to promote first aid.
- Apart from CD Lionhearters, I am glad to see that other volunteer schemes are also here to help set the record - the Civil Defence Auxiliary Unit (CDAU) and the National Civil Defence Cadet Corp(NCDCC).
Appreciation for Partners
- My appreciation also goes to the NCDCC cadet lieutenants and CDAU officers as facilitators for this record demonstration. I would also like to thank the students from ITE College East who have assisted with the makeup for injuries which have added realism to the demonstration.
- In recognition of the efforts to set a mark in the Singapore Book of Records, six organisations have stepped forward with a monetary pledge for SCDF’s adopted charity – the Cerebral Palsy Alliance Singapore.
- Let me take this opportunity to thank the following organisations for their generosity: ACERTs, CityGas, FSMAS, Syntech Engineers Pte Ltd, UGS Pte Ltd, and
Vanguard Fire Systems Pte Ltd.
- To conclude, our volunteers and other Community First Responders play an important role to provide early assistance to save lives and properties. The Triangle of Life skills you are equipped with are critical in this heightened security climate, to keep Singapore safe and secure.
- Let us continue to work together to build a Nation of Lifesavers. Thank you.