Published: 24 May 2023
1. A very good afternoon to all.
2. Thank you everyone, for taking time to attend this year’s MMO Rehabilitation Network Forum.
3. I hope you found the presentations informative and useful.
4. As shared earlier by Minister Masagos in his opening speech, the Malay community has progressed over the years. I am very encouraged by the progress we have made, especially in the area of preventing reoffending.
5. This is something the Government could not have done on our own. Thank you for your support and commitment to the cause, for making the difference.
Focus Group Discussion on Dadah Itu Haram
6. I would also like to thank you for being part of the focus group discussion on the Dadah Itu Haram campaign.
7. I had the opportunity to listen all the different groups. I went in to different segments of your session, and heard many invaluable suggestions and ideas. I want to thank the moderators, facilitators for doing such a good job.
8. My CNB colleagues will take these back and study how we can collectively bring the campaign to the next level.
9. Earlier we shared that the number of new Malay drug abusers arrested has dropped from close to 700 in 2019 to just below 300 in 2022.
10. This is very good progress. Let us continue this journey together – I think this is important.
11. But when we look at the proportion, Malays are still overly represented – both in the total number of drug abusers and the number of new drug abusers arrested. But in the last two years, for the first time in many decades, the numbers went down due to the good work we have done over the years.
12. We need your support, to join us in educating our community on the harms of drug abuse.
13. Drugs not only destroy the lives of the abusers, but also the lives of those around the person.
14. We must do what we can to prevent more lives from being destroyed, and I look forward to your continued support.
A Milestone for the Network
15. We launched the network about 1.5 years ago.
16. And although the network is relatively young, I am very proud of the progress we have made.
17. We have organised events for the network, forged close collaborations between organisations. And today, we launched the first workplan for the network, co-created by each one of you.
18. I was an observer at the Focus Group Discussions earlier. I really appreciate what you are doing, and I am confident that the network will continue to grow from strength to strength.
19. Before I end, let me share the following pantun:
Anak Singapura sungguh berbakat
Tidak ternilai seperti sutera
Bekerjasama demi masyarakat
Negara damai rakyat sejahtera
20. Once again, thank you for taking time to attend the session today.
21. I want to specifically to thank my colleagues from MHQ, SPS and CNB, for organising this Forum.
22. I look forward to meeting all of you at our next event, and continue this journey together.
23. Thank you very much.