Published: 17 April 2021
1. Singapore congratulates you on your appointment as Chair of the 64th CND.
2. The drug problem continues to plague the world. Even during COVID-19 when countries have imposed travel restrictions, traffickers have found novel smuggling methods to get drugs to abusers.
3. We welcome your initiative to have a CND statement on the impact of the pandemic on the world’s drug problem.
4. Singapore believes that governments have a responsibility to protect our people’s right to live in an environment that is free of drugs.
5. In Singapore, we adopt a multi-pronged harm prevention approach. It involves prevention through education, robust enforcement, and evidence-based rehabilitation.
6. Singapore’s comprehensive approach has been effective in keeping our drug situation under control.
7. We will be sharing our experiences on the Rehabilitation and Reintegration of Offenders at a side event co-organised with the UNODC. We welcome members to join us there for a discussion.
8. As a global transshipment hub, with our excellent transportation links to all parts of the world, Singapore is vulnerable to being used not just as a market in itself, but as a transit point for drugs.
9. International cooperation to tackle the drug problem is therefore particularly salient for us. In this regard, Singapore reaffirms our strong support for the CND as the UN body with primary responsibility for drug-related matters, and we are committed to working with the CND to strengthen international cooperation.
10. Singapore has been participating actively at the CND as an observer. We have also contributed substantively to the UNODC and to regional initiatives through policy support and capacity building efforts.
11. We would like to take our participation to the next level. I would like to inform colleagues that Singapore would like to run for CND membership for the term 2024 to 2027.
12. If we are elected and given the opportunity to serve, we will be able to contribute more significantly as a full-fledged member. We would be grateful for your support.
13. Let me conclude by reiterating Singapore’s strong commitment to the mandate of the CND and the international drug control conventions.
14. We fully intend to continue our constructive participation at the UNODC, ASEAN and other international platforms to implement the CND’s complementary and mutually reinforcing drug policy documents.
15. We look forward to a productive and fruitful discussion. Thank you.