Published: 15 December 2021
1. Good morning everyone, I am pleased to join you in opening this year’s Singapore Road Safety Award. The award, a joint effort between the Traffic Police, Land Transport Authority, and the Workplace Safety and Health Institute, celebrates the efforts made by industry to advance road safety.
2. I am heartened to learn that companies have increasingly put in place measures to ensure that they use roads safely. Ensuring that roads are safe is our collective responsibility. While authorities enforce rules to protect all road users, our safety is best ensured when we play our part and encourage others to do the same.
3. In this regard, the industry has its role to play. For example, companies involved in transportation can invest in well-maintained fleets of vehicles and driver support systems to enhance transportation safety. These investments are not only sensible from a business perspective as they lead to better productivity and reduce costs arising from traffic accidents, they more crucially fulfil the moral duty to help keep roads safe.
4. Similarly, workers involved in transport work can also encourage each other and share best driving practices. In doing so, they shape culture and can potentially transform an industry’s practices for the better.
5. I congratulate the recipients of the award. The award is a recognition of your stellar contributions and efforts. Not only have your actions led to safer roads, but they also serve as an inspiration for others in the industry to do the same, and show what practical steps can be taken towards safer road use. It is well-deserved.
6. Thank you, and once again, congratulations to our recipients.